The Cackler House
Suggestions for House Research
- Compile a list of tax records valuation for your property. Current records are filed with the Portage County Treasurer's Office in Ravenna. Older records are at the Portage County Historical Society in Ravenna and the University of Akron Archives in the Polsky Building in Akron.
- Get copies of the deeds from the present owner back to the original proprietor (chain of title).
- Look at this information. In general, a building's date can be determined by looking at major changes in tax valuation. The house's date is usually the year before a major increase in taxes shows up.
- Check the biographical information about significant residents of the house. This may reveal additional information about the building's uses and about changes in the structure.
- Consider having an architectural historian look at the building and give an opinion.
Main Street Kent Design Guidelines
Main Street Kent
To receive this document click on the Main Street Kent link and you be taken to their site where you may download the guidelines.
"The Kent Design Guidelines are intended to assist the community in preserving and enhancing places of special character. These guidelines are written to be utilized by property owners, tenants, building managers, property caretakers, architects, and builders that would be conducting work affecting an historic property. The Guidelines provide a framework for making good decisions about rehabilitation and new design. Recommendations, photographs and drawings offer information and advice on how to achieve appropriate design solutions for various types of properties within the district and also throughout the City of Kent."